- About Us
- Student Services
- Contact Us
Crimson Technical College’s long and storied legacy dates back to the 1930s and is tied to some of aeronautics’ most important pioneers. Today, Crimson sets its sights forward on evolving industry advancements while staying true to its deep historical roots and founding commitment to excellence in aviation education.
1930s – The California Flyers, Inc. School of Aeronautics was founded at Mines Field, which now stands as Los Angeles International Airport.
1942 – Northrop Aeronautical Institute was founded by John K. Northrop, founder of Northrop Aircraft Company, and James L. McKinley, aviation educator and author of several aeronautical textbooks. The institute trained allied military personnel in aircraft maintenance during WWII.
1947 – James L. McKinley and John K. Northrop reopened the institute and renamed it Northrop Aviation Aeronautical Institute. The campus was relocated to Inglewood, CA, and demand for highly skilled technicians to work on a growing number of commercial aircrafts was on the rise.
1959 – The name of the institute changed to Northrop Institute of Technology.
1975 – Northrop Institute of Technology became Northrop University. Mechanics and engineering graduates of the university were employed around the world, and the high standards of education at the school began receiving global recognition.
1991 – Dr. James W. Rice and Mrs. Mary Alice Rice, founders of national aviation school Rice Aviation in Houston, TX acquired Northrop Institute of Technology creating Northrop Rice Aviation Institute of Technology (NRAIT).
1991 – Northrop Rice Aviation Institute added an Inglewood campus to build what was then the largest system of aircraft maintenance schools in the United States.
1999 – Alta Colleges, Inc purchased the Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) program in Inglewood and Houston. The name was then changed to Westwood College of Aviation Technology. The number of students increased tremendously, reflecting the college’s diverse programs.
2006 – Westwood College of Aviation Technology became Redstone College.
2008 – Crimson Aero Corporation acquired the Inglewood campus under the name Crimson Technical College with the goal of offering quality education in aviation maintenance to students around the world.
Crimson Technical College is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.